- Faith and Worship
- How Do I...
Official Website of the
Catholic Diocese of Little Rock
Do you know why we are asked to perform acts of penance during Lent? Primarily because Jesus is our model and he himself did penance to prepare himself for his ministry. Lent in particular is a season to reorder our priorities and penance helps us remember that created things are subordinate to God. Penance doesn't feel like a sacrifice when directed to the benefit of others. The following offers 25 ways to perform spiritual and corporal works of mercy in Arkansas. Click on the idea to get more details. To learn more, see why works of mercy are important.
1. Apologize for hurting another or forgive those who have hurt you and participate in the sacrament of penance.
2. Be the hands, feet and voice of Christ to those who need support through a difficult time.
4. Donate a car to Catholic Charities of Arkansas to support its many ministries.
5. Donate to help low-income immigrants apply for citizenship or victims of human trafficking and domestic violence.
7. Grab a CRS Rice Bowl at your parish and help people in developing countries and at home.
10. Help pay the tuition for a seminarian in the Diocese of Little Rock.
12. Mail cards, rosaries, Bibles or cookies to inmates in jail or a nearby prison.
13. Pay the tuition for a student who can't afford to go to a Catholic school.
15. Serve as a sponsor to someone going through the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults.
16. Share the prayer intentions on this website with others to remember in prayer.
17. Support CASA to help serve the pastoral, educational and social needs of our diocese.
18. Support the diocesan Disaster Relief Fund to help victims of natural disasters.
19. Take Communion to patients at your local hospital or visit those who have no visitors.
20. Teach a parish religious education class in your parish.
21. Visit the elderly at a retirement center or check in on parishioners who live alone.
23. Serve meals to the homeless or volunteer at a social service agency or your parish thrift shop.
24. Volunteer to assist patients at the Westside Free Medical Clinic.
25. Welcome a new parishioner or neighbor by visiting and making them feel at home.