Respect Life Office
Proclaiming life is a gift from God from conception to natural death
The mission of the Respect Life Office is to assist in promoting and implementing the U.S. bishop’s Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life Activities concerning abortion, infanticide, euthanasia and related bioethical issues.
The Respect Life Office does this in four ways: public information and education, pastoral care, public policy and prayer and worship.
- Disseminating annual Respect Life Month educational materials to parishes
- Giving presentations to parishes, schools and church-related groups
- Establishing and networking with pro-life contacts in parishes
- Providing informative articles and advertisements to the diocesan newspaper on pro-life issues and events
- Producing a newsletter for respect life contact persons and parishes of the diocese on a timely basis
- Offering Project Rachel for post-abortive women
- Helping pregnant women in crisis with current needs through support of pregnancy help centers
- Working with Catholic Adoption Services and crisis pregnancy centers
- Monitoring state and federal legislation on pro-life issues
- Alerting pro-life contacts on issues and actions to be taken
- Networking with various state and national pro-life organizations
- Disseminating action alerts and legislative information from the USCCB to parishes and respect life contact persons.
Prayer and Worship
- Planning and promoting Respect Life Sunday events
- Organizing and promoting the annual Prayer Vigil, Mass for Life and March for Life each January
- Working with organizers of 40 Days for Life to promote prayerful vigil at abortion centers