Masterpiece of God
"Even the weakest and most vulnerable, the sick, the old, the unborn and the poor, are masterpieces of God's creation, made in his own image, destined to live forever, and deserving of the utmost reverence and respect." Pope Francis said this during his 2013 Day of Life greeting to remind us that we are all loved. Each October, the Catholic Church celebrates Respect Life Month to testify to this simple, yet crucial truth. Therefore, "Each of Us is a Masterpiece of God's Creation" is the theme for the 2014-15 Respect Life Program, which begins on Respect Life Sunday, Oct. 5. To participate in Respect Life Month events, consider the 40 Days for Life campaign, which continues in Little Rock and Fayetteville through Nov. 2 or a Life Chain in your area. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops offers lots of resources to help you celebrate with your family or in your parish, including intercessions for life, posters and flyers and pamphlets for group discussion on a variety of topics. Learn more
Red Mass to be celebrated Oct. 3
The public is invited to attend the 20th annual Red Mass invoking the Holy Spirit on judges, attorneys, government officials, law professors and students Friday, Oct. 3 at 11 a.m. at the Cathedral of St. Andrew in Little Rock.
Bishop Anthony B. Taylor will be the main celebrant. A luncheon in McDonald Hall will follow Mass featuring Donald Corbin as the keynote speaker. The cost is $25. A two-hour Continuing Legal Education workshop will be presented by the Arkansas Lawyer Assistance Program after lunch. The cost is $50. To make reservations or get more information, contact Connie Phillips at (501) 680-6919 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth rally gathers high school youth Oct. 12
The 2014 Senior High Youth Rally will be held at Catholic High School in Little Rock on Sunday Oct. 12. This event is sponsored by the diocesan Catholic Youth Ministry Office and is open to youth in grades 9-12. It includes praise and worship music, a guest speaker, lunch and Mass.
This year's featured presenter is Greg Wasinski, a speaker at youth rallies nationwide, including the 2013 National Catholic Youth Convention. Through his "Let Me Be" Ministries he uses Church teaching and real-life examples to show how faith and everyday life come together. The rally will be held from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The cost is $25 per student and the deadline to register is Sept. 29. Parish youth leaders may download the registration form and return it to the Catholic Youth Ministry Office or contact Tricia Gentry at (501) 664-0340, ext. 418 for more information.
Fall 40 Days for Life continues in Arkansas
The fall campaign of 40 Days for Life began Sept. 24 and continues through Nov. 2 in Little Rock and Fayetteville. Participants are invited to come and pray for an end to abortion from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. In Little Rock, participants gather on the sidewalk in front of #4 Office Park Drive. To learn more or sign up, visit 40 Days for Life - Little Rock, or call Mary Pate at (501) 231-8202 or Marsha Boss at (501) 960-5051. The Fayetteville vigil is being held in front of the Planned Parenthood clinic at 3729 N. Crossover Rd. To learn more, visit 40 Days for Life-Fayetteville or e-mail Julia Pritchett at email@example.com.
Through the Office of the Bishop, Bishop Anthony B. Taylor shepherds the people of the diocese with the assistance of his priests who lead the parishes and ministries under the bishop's guidance and leadership. Together they work to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ with the goal of leading all people to eternal life in heaven. Learn more
Memorial of Saint Pius of Pietrelcina, Priest
- Guardian Angels — Go beyond Hollywood's version to explore what the Catholic Church teaches about angels, particularly guardian angels, as their feast day is marked Oct. 2.
- Pet Blessings — Take your pet to a parish near you to be blessed on Oct. 4 in honor of St. Francis of Assisi, who is known for his love and care for animals
- Rosary Month — Learn the history of the rosary and why so many find it helpful to practice this devotion as we celebrate the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary Oct. 7.
- Synods on the Family — Learn about the first of two synods on the family and evangelization and the topics that will be discussed by Catholic bishops worldwide as they gather at the Vatican in October
- Bishop McDonald Catholic Charities Golf Classic — Register your team now to play at this tournament Sept. 29 and support the work of Catholic Charities of Arkansas
- Mapping the Footsteps of God — Enjoy this 12-part column series from Little Rock Scripture Study, available in English and Spanish, that explores the physical landscape of biblical stories and the spiritual symbolism of these landscapes
- Joy of the Gospel — Read Pope Francis' "Evangelii Gaudium" ("The Joy of the Gospel") on the new evangelization, which is available for download in English and Spanish or purchase at USCCB Publishing
- Statement on Crisis at U.S. Border — Read what Bishop Anthony B. Taylor calls "a test of the moral character of our nation" regarding Central American refugees at the U.S. southern border
- Statement on Same-Sex Marriage — Read Bishop Anthony B. Taylor's statement in response to the decision to overturn the 2004 amendment to the Arkansas Constitution defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman
- Stay Connected — Like the Diocese of Little Rock and Bishop Taylor on Facebook or watch our videos on YouTube
Submit an Event
- Sept. 24: 40 Days for Life Fall Campaign Begins
- Sept. 25: Girls Night Out Bingo
- Sept. 25: Series for Those Seeking to Return to the Church
- Sept. 26: 78th Annual Arkansas Catholic Professional Day for Teachers
Local kickers changing Catholic image in Little Rock
Kickball games turning into an unexpected opportunity to evangelize ...
Ken Hiegel receives lifetime pro-life honor Sept. 13
Ken Hiegel of Little Rock receives Arkansas Right to Life's top ...
Pope: Spouses make each other better men and women
Pope Francis the first pontiff to preside over weddings since 2000 ...