High school students Mary Cate Connell of Our Lady of the Holy Souls Church in Little Rock (center, from left to right) Ben Kueter of St. Mary Church in Paragould and Theresa Niemczyk of Our Lady of Fatima Church in Benton take part in the 64th annual Catholic Youth Ministry Convention May 10 at the DoubleTree Hotel and Robinson Convention Center in Little Rock. Nearly 400 high school youth from 30 parishes statewide took part in the three-day event. The theme: "Rise Up," was a challenge to the teens to take responsibility for their faith, to "own it, embrace it, be empowered by it," said Liz Tingquist, diocesan youth director.
Special collection for tornado victims
Bishop Anthony B. Taylor is asking parishes in the Diocese of Little Rock to take up a special collection at all Masses May 25-26 to help victims of the recent tornadoes that hit Moore, Shawnee and other areas in Oklahoma. All proceeds will go to Catholic Charities USA, the official domestic relief agency of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
"Whenever a tornado, a hurricane, or any type of natural disaster inflicts harm on a community and disrupts peoples’ lives, we rely on Catholic Charities USA’s Disaster Operations to act in our name. They coordinate the Catholic community’s response to domestic disasters and make grants to local Catholic Charities disaster response efforts," wrote Bishop Taylor in a letter to be read at all Masses.
Dioceses nationwide are being asked to take up this collection. "These funds will be used for immediate emergency needs, long-term rebuilding, and for the pastoral and reconstruction needs of the Church in Oklahoma and wherever else disaster may strike." Read the complete letter in English or Spanish.
Diaconate, priestly ordinations set for 2013
Bishop Anthony B. Taylor will ordain Deacon George Sanders to the priesthood and Juan Guido, Robert Cigainero, Rick Hobbs and Jack Sidler to the transitional diaconate by the end of this year. These men are discerning the priesthood as seminarians of the Diocese of Little Rock. To learn more about their journeys, read their vocation stories or watch their testimonies on video. Sanders' priestly ordination is set for 10 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 3 at Christ the King Church in Little Rock.
The diaconate ordination schedule is as follows: Guido, 10 a.m., Saturday, May 18, St. Edward Church, Little Rock; Cignainero, 10 a.m., Saturday, May 25, St. Edward Church, Texarkana; Hobbs, 6 p.m., Wednesday, May 29, St. Boniface Church, Fort Smith; and Sidler, 10 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 14, St. Boniface Church, Fort Smith. Plans to ordain Guido, Cigainero and Hobbs to the priesthood are set for May 2014 at Christ the King Church in Little Rock. Sidler's priestly ordination date is yet to be determined. For more, contact the Vocations and Seminarians Office
Special feasts reveal key teachings of faith
Pentecost Sunday is celebrated May 19 this year. It is considered the birthday of the Church, for it was on this day, that the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles and filled them with the gifts they needed to lead the Church. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Pentecost instituted the "age of the Church, during which Christ manifests, makes present, and communicates his work of salvation through the liturgy of his Church, 'until he comes.'" (no. 1076).
Pentecost concludes the Easter Season, which leads into Ordinary Time. However, the many feasts that follow prove the season is anything but ordinary. Five special feasts, known as solemnities, take place through the end of June.
A solemnity honors events, beliefs and people of great importance in our salvation history through Jesus Christ. These include: the Most Holy Trinity, May 26; the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ, June 2; the Sacred Heart of Jesus, June 7; the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, June 24; and Sts. Peter and Paul, Apostles, June 29. The Holy Trinity highlights our Triune God; three Persons in one: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Body and Blood of Jesus, also called Corpus Christi, honors the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. Besides solemnities, many other feast days, celebrated throughout the liturgical year, help us remember saints who serve as models for Christian life.
The Social Action Office educates and promotes Catholic social teaching, the consistent life ethic and the social mission of the Church by presenting workshops and sending educational materials to parishes. It also supports legislative advocacy activities in the Diocese of Little Rock by studying state legislation and interacting with state representatives and senators to educate them on the Church's position on pending legislation. Learn more
Friday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time
- Vocations 2013 — Learn about the status of vocations to the priesthood and religious life in the Diocese of Little Rock through this special section from Arkansas Catholic
- Fortnight for Freedom — Take part in this event from June 21 to July 4 and join fellow Catholics in parishes across the United States
- Arkansas Catholic Business Directory — Visit this new resource, now available online, to find numerous Catholic-owned businesses in a variety of categories statewide
- Year of Faith — Discover the resources available to help you celebrate this special year including the "What My Faith Means to Me," video project and "Biblical Year of Faith" column series from Little Rock Scripture Study, which are all available in English & Spanish
- CASA — Give to this campaign to support many diocesan and parish ministries that would not continue without help; to learn more watch, listen or read Bishop Taylor's homily
- Catholics You Want to Know — Learn about the people in the pews making a difference through their service to the Catholic Church in Arkansas
- May and Mary — Find out why May is traditionally dedicated to the Blessed Mother and discover the numerous prayers and practices this rich devotion offers followers of Christ
- News and Views — Share your news, opinions and photos through this new feature on Arkansas Catholic's website
- Pope Francis — Get to know our new Holy Father by following him on Twitter, or reading and watching videos about his leadership thus far
- Stay Connected — Like the Diocese of Little Rock and Bishop Taylor on Facebook or watch our videos on YouTube
Submit an Event
- May 24: Last Day of School for Catholic Schools
- May 25: Diaconate Ordination of Robert Cigainero
- May 27: Memorial Day
- May 29: Diaconate Ordination of Rick Hobbs
Special collection called for Memorial Day weekend
Special collection set for Memorial Day weekend for tornado victims ...
St. Joseph Bulldogs win first state baseball title
St. Joseph caps season with dominant performance in May 17 title ...
Pope Francis prays for tornado victims in Oklahoma
Tornado strikes near Oklahoma City May 20 killing at least 24 ...