|This year we celebrate Catechetical Sunday on Sept. 21 to the theme: "Teaching About God's Gift of Forgiveness," which reminds us that God's mercy is unending. On this day, parish religion and Catholic school teachers are commissioned to share their ministry for the 2014-2015 school year. A special collection is also taken up to support catechetical ministry. Half of the collection remains in the parish, while the other half supports catechetical ministry across the Diocese of Little Rock. Catechetical Sunday offers a chance for us to reflect on the role we play, by virtue of our baptism, in handing on the faith and witnessing to the Gospel. The U.S. bishops offer lots of materials to assist catechists, school teachers and families in this catechesis in addition to helping all of us better understand and rededicate ourselves to this mission as a community of faith.|
Religious jubilarians to be honored
A jubilee celebration for religious men and women will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 20 at Our Lady of the Holy Souls Church in Little Rock. Bishop Anthony B. Taylor will speak to the theme: "Missionary Transformation of Religious Life: The Joy of the Gospel" and Abbot Jerome Kodell, OSB, will address the "Challenges for Consecrated Life."
During a noon Mass, the following religious jubilarians will be honored: 75 years, Sister Mary Alice Grace, OCD; 70 years, Sister Mary Lucille Sluyter, RSM; 60 years, Sister Madeline Bariola, OSB, Sister Mary Chabanel Finnegan, RSM, Father Bruno Fuhrmann, OSB, Father Raphael Kitz, OCD, Sister Rosalie Ruesewald, OSB, Sister Stephanie Schroeder, OSB; 50 years, Sister Mary Petra Masek, OCD, Sister Dorothea Moll, DC, Father John Michael Payne, OCD, Sister Joan Marie Pfauser, RSM, Sister Cecilia Toledo, CMST; 25 Years, Sister Marilyn Doss, OSB and Brother Andrew Suarez, OSB. For more information, contact Sister Joan Pytlik, DC, minister for religious, at (501) 664-0340, ext. 384.
Fall 40 Days for Life begins in Arkansas
The fall campaign of 40 Days for Life will be held from Sept. 24 to Nov. 2 in Little Rock and Fayetteville. The kickoff in Little Rock will be at 2 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 21 on the sidewalk in front of #4 Office Park Drive. Then the vigil begins Sept. 24 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day.
People are invited to come and pray for an end to abortion. To learn more or sign up, visit 40 Days for Life - Little Rock, or call Mary Pate at (501) 231-8202 or Marsha Boss at (501) 960-5051.
Northwest Arkansas participants may attend training sessions Sept. 18 and 20. The Fayetteville vigil will be held in front of the Planned Parenthood clinic at 3729 N. Crossover Rd. To learn more, visit 40 Days for Life-Fayetteville or e-mail Julia Pritchett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Six earn degrees through theology institute
Six Catholics from the Diocese of Little Rock graduated with a bachelor's degree in theology from St. Gregory University in Shawnee, Okla., during a ceremony Sept. 6 at St. John Catholic Center in Little Rock.
They are Mary Ruth Foster, Tina Hall, Denis Morbit, Sara Sullivan and Liz Tingquist, all of Little Rock, and Kalisa Newton of Rogers. The graduates participated in Little Rock Theology Institute for three years and took additional courses through the Oklahoma Benedictine college to earn their degrees.
Receiving certificates of completion were Brother Mattias Hagge, OSB, Russell Hoerman, Theresa Lutes, Mary Smith and George Toombs. Little Rock Theology Institute is a ministry of the diocesan Office of Faith Formation. For more information, contact Deacon Chuck Ashburn, director, at (501) 664-0340, ext. 368
Through the Office of the Bishop, Bishop Anthony B. Taylor shepherds the people of the diocese with the assistance of his priests who lead the parishes and ministries under the bishop's guidance and leadership. Together they work to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ with the goal of leading all people to eternal life in heaven. Learn more
Memorial of Saint Andrew Kim Tae-gŏn, Priest, and Paul Chŏng Ha-sang, and Companions, Martyrs
- Synods on the Family — Learn about the first of two synods on the family and evangelization and the topics that will be discussed by Catholic bishops worldwide as they gather at the Vatican in October
- Senior Living — Learn how to make the golden years the best years in this new special section from Arkansas Catholic
- Back to School for Teachers — Remember Catholic school teachers and parish catechists in your prayers as they attend the Arkansas Catholic Professional Day for Teachers Sept. 26 and Catechetical Study Day Sept. 27, both in Little Rock
- Bishop McDonald Catholic Charities Golf Classic — Register your team now to play at this tournament Sept. 29 and support the work of Catholic Charities of Arkansas
- Mapping the Footsteps of God — Enjoy this 12-part column series from Little Rock Scripture Study, available in English and Spanish, that explores the physical landscape of biblical stories and the spiritual symbolism of these landscapes
- Joy of the Gospel — Read Pope Francis' "Evangelii Gaudium" ("The Joy of the Gospel") on the new evangelization, which is available for download in English and Spanish or purchase at USCCB Publishing
- Statement on Crisis at U.S. Border — Read what Bishop Anthony B. Taylor calls "a test of the moral character of our nation" regarding Central American refugees at the U.S. southern border
- Statement on Same-Sex Marriage — Read Bishop Anthony B. Taylor's statement in response to the decision to overturn the 2004 amendment to the Arkansas Constitution defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman
- Stay Connected — Like the Diocese of Little Rock and Bishop Taylor on Facebook or watch our videos on YouTube
Submit an Event
- Sept. 20 - Sept. 21: Catechetical Sunday
- Sept. 20: International Dinner
- Sept. 20: Religious Jubilarian Day
- Sept. 20: Mass to Honor Religious Jubilarians
Ken Hiegel receives lifetime pro-life honor Sept. 13
Ken Hiegel of Little Rock receives Arkansas Right to Life's top ...
Pope: Spouses make each other better men and women
Pope Francis the first pontiff to preside over weddings since 2000 ...
Ken Eckert: Heart and soul of parish senior ministry
Ken Eckert stays young by helping others at his Little Rock ...